Earlier, many people used the basement of their house as a storage place, but now they are renovating it and making it as a secondary suite. Also, many homeowners are giving the secondary suit for rent or using it for guests by calling it in-law suite. Many homeowners are planning to rent out their basement to paying guests as they consider it as another way of generating income.
Though many homeowners lease their basements, you should know that not all basement suites or apartments are legal. An authorized secondary suite is a dwelling within a home that should be listed in the city municipality list.
Homeowners will get financial benefits if they have a secondary suite inside their home, but, they need to follow legal guidelines. The guidelines are like your basement requisites to fulfill in order to make it an official suite. If homeowners want to rent out their Newmarket basement renovations in Ontario, then the homeowners need to consider several things.
How to Make a Basement Suite or Apartment Legal:
If you are planning to renovate your basement and make it a basement apartment, then you should get a basement permit from city municipality. You should also follow the zoning and safety codes that your Newmarket basement renovations apartment requires to obey with, and also the housing by-laws standards must meet.
Official Secondary Suite Requirements:
- You must make only small changes to the exterior appearance of your house
- Your home must be a minimum one year old
- The secondary dwelling should be small than the main house
- Bathrooms must contain a fan
- The ceiling must be soundproofed and it should be minimum six-feet 5-inches
- The basement doors should be at least 1,75-inches thick and it should be made of metal or solid wood, and contains half inch gap at the bottom to have proper air movement.
- The windows at the sleeping area must allow you to open easily without using tools
- The basement suite windows must be minimum 18-inches and have an opening of around 600sqinches.
- The outside door must be a min 32inches x 78inches
- The kitchen in the secondary suite must contain a stove and refrigerator and they should be in good condition. The kitchen cupboards should be at least four- cubic feet multiplied by the number of people in the apartment.
- The stove in the kitchen must have an exhaust fan and contain a direct vent to the exterior of the house.
- Carbon monoxide and smoke alarms must be installed and you must maintain them properly.
The best approach to make sure that your basement apartment needs the necessary requirements and meets the standards is to get a service from a basement renovation service provider to perform a basement inspection.
Why it is essential to have a Legal Secondary Suite:
It is important to authorize your NewMarket basement renovations apartment as it assures the complete safety of all occupants and tents of your home. Also, it is worth noting that the necessary requirements for basement suites can change from one city to another. That is why it is important to check the specific laws of your city before you want to renovate your basement.